Câmara Municipal do Funchal
Praça do Município
Contact Center CMF
291 211 000
(every day from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
The Farmers’ market designed by Edmundo Tavares (1892-1983), was inaugurated on the 24th of November 1940. Evidence of the Estado Novo’s architecture reflects, the grandiosity of its design, the intention of making it the city’s major supply hub.
The facade, the main door and the fishmonger’s shop are adorned with large tile panels of Faiança Batisttini de Maria de Portugal, dating from 1940 and painted with regional themes by João Rodrigues. In its space, organized in small “Plazas”, “Squares”, “Streets” and “Steps”, products of all kinds are sold, mixing colours, sounds, smells and diverse people.